Dec 15, 2019
What is it like to be be competing to be the best in the world
at your sport? In this week’s episode, we talk with author and
Olympian Annie Vernon about why sport psychology is as important to
understand as building physical strength, how to build confidence
and stay motivates, and what to do the you or your athlete has
Highlights from the Podcast:
- Annie shares how she got into rowing as a child
- Does coming in second mean failure?
- How did Annie recover from the results at the 2008
- Annie discusses where the title of her book Mind Games came
- Why is mental skills training looked at with a negative
- Annie shares ideas on specific sport psychology skills from her
- What does confidence mean and how do you build it?
- Why do coaches have to be careful about he words they use?
- How to deal with Raceday jitters.
- Everyone has their “one moment” in their sport…how do you feel
about it now?
With nearly a decade at the top of Britain’s most successful
Olympic sport, Annie has a proven track record in the cauldron of
seven World Championships and two Olympic Games.
She became a World Champion for the first time in 2007 and this
set the scene for an assault on the Beijing Olympics in 2008, where
their crew of four attempted to be the first British women’s rowing
team to become Olympic Champions.
Read more about Annie here: http://www.annievernon.co.uk/about-annie-vernon/
Determination, doubt, and lucky socks: an insider’s guide to the
psychology of athletes by Annie
The Boys in the
Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936
Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
Sexism in elite sport exists but men and women are
different — let’s celebrate that by Annie
Connect with Annie Vernon:
Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of
our online courses.
We are now offering you the ability to contribute as a Podcast
for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK its a Venti
Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews,
better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10
per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to
never before released and bonus material, including:
• Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don't have
to crash your car trying to take notes!
• A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other
special guests talking about the previous month's episodes and
answering some of the FAQs we received that month
• A code to get free access to our online course called
"Coaching Mastery," usually a $97 course, but yours for free for
becoming a patron.
• Access to an online community of coaches like you who are
dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your
questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a
special big thank you to all of you who become part of
our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our
podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions